Sunday, June 5, 2022

Sly and the Family Stone, There's a Riot Goin' On (1971)

Musical roulette, here we go. Sly and the Family Stone's fifth studio album There's a Riot Goin' On (1971). I love the funk, but I don't like the mumbling. I can't understand what's being said. The album sounds like all right mood music, but a few tracks in, and I'm deeply underwhelmed. Jam sessions are fine, but they don't make for great music in my book. Even a song like "Family Affair," which is cool, is just "It's a family affair," repeated over and over as its refrain, and then the verses are vocal-fried mumble, mumble, mumble. "Blood's thicker than the mud" is a good line, though. All this is just to say sadly I don't love this, and as much as I hate to write the album off, I'm writing it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment