Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Boz Scaggs, Boz Scaggs (1969)

I'm not in the mood for blogging music this moment, but as I write, I'm hearing Boz Scaggs' blare, "I'm gonna get up and make my life shine," and I've got to confess, that call to action prompts me to want to jot my way out out of my funk. At the very least it doesn't hurt to try.

I'm seeing here on the Wiki that old Scaggs was a former member of the Steve Miller Band. I didn't know that. I had just heard his name from a long time back, and it always seemed like one of those funny names you hear musicians have. Ironically enough, there is a touch of musical expectation his name bears. If you guessed he does fogey songs, you wouldn't be wrong. But judging by the name, I expected him to sound more like George Thorogood ("Bad to the Bone"). Enough about his name.

His self-titled '69 album is all right. I wouldn't care to buy it, though. It's a little nine-tracker. Kind of hard to characterize the music. This song "Finding Her" has Spanish and slide guitar and a slow tempo, pretty folksy. "Look What I Got," the next track, sounds more like country, but there's that slide guitar. Also, it's worth mentioning as a high point that Scaggs' voice is positively unique and can color the songs in an interesting way regardless of the genre. You know how Weezer plays crunchy guitar and yet Rivers Cuomo's crystal-clear voice soars above the guitar, almost making you forget how genre'd up the song is? There's something of that to Scaggs' songs. If you want to know what Scaggs sounds like by description, it's a bit like Lou Reed.

Eh, so this isn't much to write about, but now I'm interested in old Scaggs. I'll see if any other albums of his come up on those top albums lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment