Friday, August 5, 2022

Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (2001)

I like this album but I'll go ahead and say upfront it wouldn't be in my top 100. Sadly, I think I've outgrown it.

First heard it when it got regular play on our hometown college radio station, WKMS, courtesy of Tracy Ross's evening show, one of my favorites. I got exposed to so much good music thanks to that man. After I graduated college and went off to Korea and changed my life, I sent Tracy an email thanking him for doing his show. I was grateful to have learned of so much great music, I said. He wrote back, very grateful himself, saying this was why he did what he did. God bless that man.

Amazing how time flies. Fast-forward from 2007, around the time I sent the email to Tracy, to 2012, when I was again in Korea, in another city, sitting around a table doing a table read of a play. It was the weekend. I was involved in some amateur theater at the time (at our height we performed for 200 people, professional play, memorized our lines and everything, very impressive, no?), and Dave, who is a very good man indeed, married and at the time with a boy of six. He mentioned his love of Wilco. He really was a Wilco superfan. Anyway, at the mention of Wilco, one of the other actors, considerably younger said, "Wilco? That's like dad rock!" Dave put his head on the table.

3 comments:

  1. What about A.M.? That one is my favourite of theirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't listened to that album. I've only ever listened to YTH and I bought it because Tracy Ross played it a lot.

      Delete