Tuesday, August 30, 2022

My Chemical Romance, The Black Parade (2006)

I thought it was about time to do a write-up on your favorite band, My Chemical Romance, indeed your favorite album, the 2006 The Black Parade.

In the grand tradition of Mt Rushmore musicians like Insane Clown Posse, here comes a concept album imagining what it would be like if there were an emo parade for all the disaffected youth. Lead singer Gerard Way has even crafted his own mythos about his dear daddy taking him to some parade or other and telling him he was destined for great things.

Laughable matters aside, this music is actually not too bad, NGL. Disregard the spooky aesthetics and it's mostly just early-aughts punk-rock a la Blink-182. If the two bands were on the same playbill and you weren't paying attention to the stage, I doubt you'd notice the transition from one band to the other.

It's still two thumbs down but I'm surprised I'm not nearly as sour on this music as I imagined I would be. In fact, if I went to a concert of this, I think I'd have a good time.

Sometimes we get older and get more tender-hearted.

No comments:

Post a Comment