Monday, August 29, 2022

Howlin' Wolf, Moanin' in the Moonlight (1959)

Howlin' Wolf, born Chester Arthur Burnett, was a blues musician from Mississippi who relocated to Chicago, where he made his career, performing alongside greats like Muddy Waters. He could shuffle around on a guitar like it was nobody's business and he had this amazing, raspy voice. When I started the record, I was surprised. His voice was so distinct it sounded like he had run it through a distortion peddle. But I think that was just him peaking the levels.

I really like the album. The guitar involves familiar blues riffs and the lyrics are in the melancholy vein. Come for the familiarity, stay for Wolf's vocal gravitas. "I asked for water; she gave me gasoline," he sings in one song, "I'd rather be six feet under than to be with you" in another.

Will hold onto this.

On another note, I wanted to let you know that I'll probably reduce the posts to five times a week on records and cut the readings notes altogether. I could give you reasons for why but they would just be so many excuses, even to me.

Sorry we haven't been in touch as often. Anytime I'm around, happy to take the call.

Jah love.

No comments:

Post a Comment