Thursday, June 30, 2022

The Rolling Stones, Beggars Banquet (1968)

Beggars Banquet is the seventh studio album from The Rolling Stones and one of the greatest albums of all time, thank you very much. The lead-off is "Sympathy for the Devil" and the final track is "Salt of the Earth." This is a deeply religious album.

I have listened to this album so many times now. I listened to it today two and a half times while working on a writing project. Actually, I got stalled on the same work of short fiction I've been writing forever while listening. For a moment, I thought the music was distracting me. Then I switched to working on another project, a novella, and the music just pushed me right along. There was no problem with the music. Only a problem with the project.

When do you give up on something? What do you get when you cross an elephant and a rhino?

Fortunately, I'm going to step away from the thing that's been giving me so much trouble. I won't step away for long. Just a couple days or so. Then hopefully I can return to it with fresh eyes and see what's what. Now I've said about all I want to say on the matter, but I made a promise to myself that today I would write for a minimum of two hours. I allowed myself to include this blog-writing as part of that time. There's fifteen minutes left in the hour. What now?

2 comments:

  1. The opening of this album is one of my all time favourites!

    ReplyDelete