Monday, July 3, 2023

Joni Mitchell, Blue (1971)

Hard not to love this album. I've developed an attachment at least. I like Joni Mitchell's voice. I especially like the way she purposely arranges songs so that it sounds like she is struggling to have her words keep up with her own melodies.

Another appealing aspect is that her voice cracks. This is a studio album. It's not as though she can't do another take. It's as though Mitchell wanted whatever emerged in the first takes to be what stood. Only speculation, but I very much believe she loves the spontaneity of the art.

I don't know if you like Joni Mitchell. I don't think I've talked to you about her. She doesn't seem like an artist you would like. Or maybe she's an artist you didn't like at first but you've come to appreciate. Let me know your thoughts.

Hit me back just to chat,

Your biggest fan,

This is,

Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment